torsdag 28 maj 2015

9 May. The fortress town of Przemysl.

My leg with quite some sratches and bleeding - I felt obliged to look for a doctor.



In the 19th century under Austrian-Hungarian rule Przemysl town was strategically fortified into a dubble-ringed stronghold to prevent Russian invasion. During WWI sieges and battles were many between the two super powers at the time. And from the fall of the two empires - with their Kaiser, Tsar and all - Poland rose out of the ashes as a free nation Przemysl prospering in its south centre. Today, the town is only five kilometers from the Ukrainian border which has damaged its economical potential quite badly.  Thus, you will find here and there very poor housing conditions.




However, Przemysl is a friendly place. I failed to find any GP facility open since it was Saturday and I had to take a cab up to Szpital Miejski on Monte Cassino. With my EU insurance card I was registered in a minute and within the hour I was treated - a needle in my arm with tetanus vaccine. The young couple helped me translate to Polish.




The hospital did indeed live up to its own motto

"From door to needle within the hour".

 
Back in town and across the river San with many restored houses, churches and other buildings...
Tillbaka i stan och över floden San med många vackra, pietetsfullt restaurerade bostadshus, kyrkor och andra byggnader 




 
 and in the midst of a surprisingly quiet presidential election campaign
och mitt i en för övrigt överraskande stillsam presidentvalskampanj
 
I visited near the Przemysl Dworzec PKP and PKS the new local museum
besöker jag det nya stadsmuseet nära Przemysl Dworzec PKP och PKS




Maria, the guide gave me a swift presentation before closing time. Her own family story was as interesting as the exhibits...  Thanks Maria!

 
The most famous about Przemysl is the double-ringed fortress but since I am no tourist I did not rent a bike for the suggested  bike tour along the outer ring Learning all about the two sieges in September and October by the Russians that ended by Austrian surrender in 22 March 2015 of the stronghold. A hundred years ago.


to be cont'd
 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar