tisdag 3 januari 2012

A desk operation

WWII was not won by desk operations but by officers and soldiers operating in the air, on the sea and the beaches and in the fields. Even so, desk operations are crucial to determine the situation and the objectives not to mention the strategies and tactics. Now, I should not draw too much a parallel on my long walk to Greece with WWII but just to emphasise the importance of good planning and preparations. And I think, I'd better choose my route now than at daybreak embarking a ferry in Gdynia harbour some warm day in June or July. So, for planning: i) main route ii) walking model iii) packing iv) physical preparation. Let's start with the main route. Too straight seems to me not of enough interest. Even though it is said that you should rather choose what is attractive than refrain from the not attractive, I would prefer exploring the western Ukraine countryside and hills and still be able to visit the multi-cultural city of Lvov/L'viv/Lemberg after Polish Lublin, both cities of attraction. This means no Slovakia, no Hungary and for sure no Serbia or Macedonia. On the other hand an even more eastern route, say, via Tjernivtsi (Chernowitz) or Moldovian Chisinau may increase the distance far beyond my time line. From L'viv then more southwest through Romanian but Hungarian influenced Arad and Timisoara touching Donau at Turnu-Severin, an exciting focal point of great historical interest. Well, the last stages may remain open.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar